In 1906 Tabard Street was extended to carve through the grounds of St George the Martyr’s Church; leaving a new space ‘St. George the Martyr’s Churchyard’.
The road sits approximately 1 metre below the adjacent spaces, and linkage is poor, with unclear routes through, and steps at the key entrance.
As an extension to the Borough High Street works, we proposed to make a ramp in part of Tabard Street, with seating, a curly hedge, and new trees in the road to visually reconnect the two spaces.
Client: London Borough of Southwark