East acted as the lead consultant to Waltham Forest for an extensive programme of public realm, shopfront and play space improvements in the Borough. For the improvements carried out along Wood Street, and Hoe Street, East led the design team for the project providing a single point of contact for the client, and organising a wide range of sub consultants including graphic designers and artists.
Key activities include:
– Design advice and coordination.
– Public realm design and detailing.
– Design of new Wood Street Plaza.
– Wayfinding proposals.
– Implementation of festive lighting scheme.
– 1:1 testing of innovative tree lights.
– Pop-up shops and event in the Indoor Market.
– Public art projects, including the Pop-up Picture Palace.
– Shopfront design and submission of planning application and advertisement consent applications.
– ‘Shopportunity’ – a pilot scheme for improvements to signage and shop windows through mini-grants.
– Hoe Street
Throughout the process, East maintained a ‘rolling masterplan’ of interventions. East also designed improvements to a new social space in Hoe Street, entitled 38 Hoe Street. 38 Hoe Street is a project space for the delivery and showcasing of a series of improvements for Walthamstow Town Centre and Hoe Street and encouraging the street to become a place for events and activities.
Location: Wood St and Hoe Street, Waltham Forest
Client: Borough of Waltham Forest
Project status: Completed 2014